Moving with family – step by step guide
No matter how patient and calm parent you are – when you think about moving with kids, you probably start to worry just a little. We admit – moving with family is not easy. Especially if you have a large family. Each of the members handles the relocation differently – some cry, some don’t take it seriously, others take it too seriously – you just need the balance. However, with the right strategy and acting according to the plan – it’s going to be a pretty smooth and even fun journey. We prepared some of the useful tips and a step by step guide so the moving with family causes you the least stress and worries.
Step one – Choose the right home when moving with family
Whatever the reason for moving with family is, you should try to find the best choice when it comes to choosing a new home. Your whole family will be spending a lot of time there, so you need to make sure to find the perfect home. Be sure to:
- Start your search in advance – the process of buying a home can take a while, so if possible, be sure to start your search months ahead to have plenty of time to make the right decision.
- Hire a professional – A trustworthy, experienced real estate agent will make the search easier. They will consider your life situation and offer you the best deal according to your family’s needs.
- Research kindergartens, schools, playgrounds (even nannies) in the area you like – You need to have everything you need for your kids close to your home.
- Consider the commute time, too – If you already have a job, be sure to consider the commute time in your house hunting. Don’t let it take away the most of your free time you could be spending with your family.
- Do both online & offline research – Browse houses online, but also ask the people you know for recommendations. Walk around neighborhoods you like, talk to the locals and think – if your family lived there – would you like it?
- Involve the kids, too – Check if your kids want something from a house. Separate bedrooms, a backyard, etc. – so you can find that too if possible.
- Check the safety of a neighborhood/city – When moving with family, safety should be one of the priorities. Check the crime reports online, but also talk to the locals. Remember, a well-lit neighborhood with a lot of playgrounds and kids playing around seems like a safe place for your family.
Step two – Inform your children that you are moving
Don’t let your kids find out about the move some other way – parents need to be the one to tell them. Have a talk about the relocation and prepare them for it. Tell your kids the reason why you are moving and good things about it. Moving with children can be quite tricky and sensitive so be sure to have the right approach. Stay positive and promise to involve them in the process. Being a part of the whole relocation journey will make it easier for kids to accept leaving the current home, neighbors, school, friends, etc.
Step three – Prepare the move on time when moving with family
Moving with family involves a lot of organization and packing. Therefore, don’t forget to start on time. Be sure to write a moving plan and all the tasks you need to do. Thus, you can finish them one by one and tick them off the list. As a result, you will be aware of how much you need to do and be sure you don’t forget anything.
Step four – Hire a professional moving company
Moving with family is a huge process you can’t deal with on your own. That’s why hiring professionals to help you out is the best investment you can make. Be sure to look for trustworthy movers in Sahuarita, AZ and choose someone you can really trust with your items.
Step five – Start packing
Don’t do all the packing in one day. It’s much easier and efficient to do it room by room, weeks before the actual moving day. Start packing the items you don’t need on a daily basis, and work your way towards the everyday items. Also, be sure to use the best packing materials – this way you’ll pack your items in the safest way.
Step six – Declutter
Every family home contains a lot of things they no longer need – outgrown clothes, old toys, unused items. Relocation is the perfect chance to get rid of those things and make more space in your new home. Furthermore, if you have fewer things to pack – your moving costs will be lower, too.
Don’t have enough space?
Sometimes, no matter how much you declutter, there are some things you can’t get rid of, but you also don’t have the space for them in your new home. Don’t worry –storage space is the right solution for you. When looking for affordable storage units in Tucson area, choose one that offers suitable conditions for your items.
Step seven – The moving day
Even if you were alone, the moving day could be pretty stressful and busy. If possible find somebody to take care of the kids while the boxes are being carried out. Maybe your parents, friends or even a nanny can take care of them for a while. Furthermore, be sure to pack one separate box with kids’ favorite toys or other things, which they can use as soon as you arrive at your new home.
When moving with family – don’t forget your pets
If you have pets, be sure to keep them away from the moving events. They can be very upset with strangers coming to the house and taking away boxes and furniture, so it’s best to find someone to take care of them, too. Also, once you arrive at your new home, pay attention to your pet while it gets familiar with the new environment, and don’t let them run away, which is a common reaction.